Welcome!

A Ton of Love Draft Horse Rescue was founded in August of this year. We decided to keep a detailed blog about taking on our first rescue. We feel that it is important to show those who have donated and supported us along the way exactly where there money went and that they really DID make a difference. The experience will no doubt be difficult but rewarding.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Owning a Horse is a COMMITMENT.

(Damian writing)

I don't own a horse, but I do own other pets.  As a matter of fact, before I became involved in ATOL, I didn't know much about horses.  But I do know that owning a horse, much like other pets, is a HUGE commitment and should not be taken lightly.  I would never get a horse or other pet unless I was absolutely sure I could take care of it.  FOREVER.  And I would make sure that if for some reason I could no longer care for said animal, someone I knew would be willing and able to do so.

The sad truth is that many people do not understand the commitment involved in owning pets.  That is one of the reasons rescues like ATOL exist.  While I am committed to helping Stephanie with this truly wonderful cause, I envision a world in which there is no need for such an organization.

Please, people.  If you are thinking about getting a horse, whether from ATOL, another rescue, a breeder, or wherever - make the commitment to care for it.  I don't want to see your horse wind up at ATOL - or worse - because you were too short-sighted to realize what a commitment it is to care for it.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely put...I know I'm looking forward to growing old(er) with my drafts; better not exclude the dogs. Everyone of them are adoptees/rescues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chenango County Sheriff Office
    MEDIA RELEASE
    **ARREST**

    Date of Arrest: 6/29/2011
    Location of Offense: Town of Guilford

    NAME: Stephanie M. Algiere-Hanchett AGE: 28
    ADDRESS: Town of Guilford STATE: N.Y.

    CHARGES: Scheme To Defraud 1st, Animal Cruelty


    CIRCUMSTANCE: Chenango County Sheriff’s Office arrested Stephanie M. Algiere-Hanchett for Scheme to Defraud and Animal Cruelty after she solicited funds through A Ton of Love Draft Horse Rescue for the Hernia surgery of a 2 year old percheron Prince Argo and used the funds to purchase other items. Stephanie failed to seek medical attention for the horse after receiving the money for the surgery. Stephanie failed to care for the needs of 2 horses at the rescue. Stephanie was arraigned in the Town of Guilford Court and held at The Chenango County Correctional Facility on $2500.00 cash bail. Stephanie is to reappear in The Town of Guilford Court on 7/1/2011


    COURT *C*T*V*: Town of Guilford
    REAPPEARANCE DATE: 7/1/2011

    Investigating Officer: 0602
    (For contact purpose only)

    ReplyDelete